Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A New Chapter In My Culinary Adventure....Cheers to the Last OITF Dinner

“Frank Stitt's lively mind, unerring palate, and easy grace have combined to make him the culinary king of Alabama."
—Gourmet

I had my last dinner with OITF in Birmingham last week. The dinner was held at Jones Valley Urban Farm a three acre farm on a formerly vacant downtown property, that grows produce and healthy communities through urban farming and youth education. What a great way to end the season! I got to spend time with my favorite chef Frank Stitt. I have been looking forward to this dinner all season. He is a well-respected chef in the south and a huge supporter of the Southern Foodways Alliance.
Known for his Provençal-influenced southern food, Stitt always uses fresh and local ingredients in his cooking.

What I also enjoy about Frank Stitt's cookbook- is that he uses food to tell stories of the south that relate to food. In many ways food has impacted his life and he tells his adventures through his recipes.
Here is a really great article- Frank Stitt, John T. Edge and Marvin Woods come together to talk about food. Frank Stitt tells of mixing the culinary traditions of both black and white in his restaurant.

“I began to take greater pride in our southern ingredients,’ he says as he weaves the black traditional food of his restaurant family with his own small Alabama farm food. “And sometimes with me, I’m blending a little bit of Provence, the south of France, with the south of the United States.” Claiming that there is something special about southern soil, Stitt
continues, “Our southern ingredients hadn’t really been celebrated like the French had been doing for generations.”

One of the best parts about working for OITF I was able to
connect with amazing chefs like Frank Stitt. I hope their cooking and love to their culture inspire me to write about the importance of food and see the unique stories in each person, dish and recipe.

I loved hearing Frank Stitt talk about his Porchetta fro
m Sequatchie Cove Farms. He proudly carried it to the table to share with the farmer and guests. Most chefs hide behind the kitchen - but he was so eager to put the farmer (Bill Keener) in the spot light. His respect for the farmer was so wonderful and his love for the meal was priceless.

I can't wait to start cooking again now that I am no longer on the road. I will definitely be pulling out his cookbook. Cheers to a wonderful diner!


MENU:
McEwen & Sons deviled eggs.
JVUF sweet & spicy peppers, roasted eggplant, cracklin' cornbread & Snow's Bend snap peas.
Lady Pea Pilau with Snow's Bend butternut squash, Soul's Food Organic's cherry tomatoes, okra & basil.

Porchetta (Sequatchie Cove Farms Pork) with stone ground grits & JVUF collard greens & turnips.
Petals from the Past apple cake with rum creme angalise.

No comments:

Post a Comment