Thursday, May 28, 2009

Muffy's Bridesmaids' Luncheon

Time for Local, Fresh and Friendship



Susan Overton and my mom gave Muffy Zimmer (now Greenbaum) her Bridesmaids' Luncheon this pa
st weekend. My mom cooked a wonderful fresh and healthy meal for Muffy with all of her favorite things. Susan decorated with beautiful flowers, silver and linens. They made a good team! My mom made a salad with mixed greens, peas and shrimp. We roasted the shrimp in the oven and marinated it in lemon, olive oil, dill and garlic. We had a fruit salad with fresh mint, deviled eggs, celery stuffed with cheese and herbs and ham biscuits.

For dessert we had a Strawberry Cake from Westhampton Bakery (a local favorite) and a Charm Cake. It is a southern tradition for each bridesmaid to pull a charm from the cake to tell them their fortune.
The custom of "ribbon pulling" dates back to time of Queen Victoria. A bride would hide small charms (distinctive symbols of romance, love, friendship, etc.) attached to satin ribbons within the icing of her wedding cake. The bride would have each of her bridesmaids pull a charm from the cake before it was cut. It was believed each charm had a special meaning, a bit of advice, or would foretell the future in luck, romance, fortune, etc.



The luncheon was a lot of fun and a great way to kick off the wedding weekend for Muffy. Best wishes, Muffy and Noah!

2 comments:

  1. It was a wonderful luncheon! Thank you so much! I loved everything! The charm cake is such a great tradition. It was fun to hear what each charm meant! Laura, my step-sis, got the ring (which means the next to be wed) and I really think she will be engaged soon :)I think she was so happy to get that charm!

    Thank you Sally for being such a wonderful bridesmaid (my wedding wouldn't have been as amazing without you)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very interested in arranging parties. Had recently arranged my niece’s bridal luncheon at one of San Francisco wedding venues and taken ideas from an online site. Everything was perfectly done. Everyone appreciated my efforts.

    ReplyDelete