Friday, July 17, 2009

PIKE PLACE FARMERS MARKET


Since 1907 people have been buying fresh fish and vegetables at Seattle's Pike Place Market (A public market overlooking the Elliott Bay waterfront in Seattle). Now it is a huge hot spot in Seattle filled with tourist and locals every day. It is known for its brass pig, clock, and fish tossing. It is one of the oldest continually operated public farmers markets in the United States.

The Main Market has street-level stalls stretches in an L-shape from 1st Avenue and Pike Street to Pike Place and then along Pike Place to Virginia Street. Click here for more interesting history on Pike Place Market.

John and I explored the market together last week. I enjoyed all of the fresh seafood and flowers in the market. I stopped to ask the fisherman about the fish and I got one tossed at me. It was almost more of a show and a production, than a market. Tourist are crowding the area and taking pictures. The men scream "Is there anyone here actually to buy fish." It was a cool place- but thought it was a bit too touristy for me. Once you explore and go to all of the different levels of the market you can find some amazing spots hidden away and not crowed with tourists. We did not have too much time to explore- but next time I am excited to find some great local spots untouched by tourist. I can tell it is a great place for cheap eats when you know where you are going and what you are getting. We went to Beecher's Cheese which was great- but really crowded. We watched them make cheese through the window.

No comments:

Post a Comment