Thursday, February 4, 2010

Exploring My New City Through Foodie Events!

I recently moved to DC....slowly breaking away from blogging about Atlanta. I am embracing my new city and reaching out to people in the industry. I am starting to meet food lovers and food writers through these really fun events. I am learning that it is a great place to write about food. It is a great city full of events and organizations to get involved in. So I ignore the cold and snowy weather and came to the table with people to talk about food and what it means to them. To some I find (since it is DC) is a political movement...fighting for issues such as the Child Nutrition Act or 2012 Farm Bill....to others it is a love to cook...and for some fun food related events in the city. All the people love food for one way or the other and share my common interest on how food relates to people in many ways and effecting their lives.


Last night I went to a Food Blogger Happy Hour and met some fun DC Bloggers. I was surprised to meet people there that just love food and do not have a blog - but where interested in starting one or just wanted to meet foodie type people. Others were eager to tell you about their blog....and some just wanted to have a beer with people like with the same interests. I learned about other blogs in the area. I discovered places to eat and places to shop...so it was fun to come together to talk about DC and its food scene.

Some you should follow:

Thrifty DC Cook
the arugula files
Dining in DC
Biscuits And Such

Link

Tonight I am going to the Washington Post to hear from some of DC's most talented gastronomically inclined authors at the reading from the new bestseller "Best Food Writing 2009." The event will include Joe Yonan and Jane Black of The Washington Post, Tim Carman of the Washington City Paper, and cookbook author Monica Bhide, all of whom are featured in this anthology of culinary prose, along with the series editor, Holly Hughes.

Click here for more details...Hope to see you there!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads-up! I'm going to come. ;) So do you still work for OITF here in DC or doing something different? I'm hoping to do a food story for my magazine soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the shout out! I am going to spend this winter storm reading your posts about your adventerous year! Hope you are staying warm.

    ReplyDelete